Tuesday, September 27, 2011

New Project


Working on a new project. Places People Stories is a ongoing project aimed to result in a conference publication in comic book form for the conference with the same name. This conference investigates the relations between people and places, focusing on the role of stories in constructing meaning and affecting human emotions. The project is a collaboration between Petter Hanberger and I as a team and Linnaeus University, Kalmar. We have set out to produce an indepedent original work that is relevant to the main aims for the conference.
We can't work in the studio because its cluttered up with moulds and fiberglass for the concrete cast.

video
You realise this is pretty serious work: ).

Monday, September 26, 2011

The other side.


Laminated some fiberglass reinforcement on the other side this morning. After finishing work with the sander the mould should be ready to use.

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Epoxi.


Glued the plywood to the mould using home made glue made of epoxi resin and filler. Then I laminated with fiberglass for strength. After curing I will finish the other side tomorrow.

Reinforcement.


Working on some reinforcements on the mould. After consulting Göran I decided to make a quite deep frame out of plywood all around the mould. This way I will be able to fix the mould while I am working with the concrete.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Finish work.


Finally the mould is cleaned from the remains of the model. Used my new Festool Geared eccentric sander ROTEX RO 125 for the first time. A really sweet tool. Note improvised connection between sander and dust extractor.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Concrete.


Henrik from Hansa Bygg, responsible for the foundations for the stars, in action at Rinkabyholmsskolan.
And this is the result. He will dismantle the molds tomorrow and refill with soil.

Cover.


This is great! Jean-Marie Distaso from France covered my painting "Wood Chase". Check out his work at: Tableaux a l'eau.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Stuck.


Due to not enough wax on the plug I have to scrape out the paint that got stuck in the mould. I'm half way there.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Grinding.


Still a lot of grinding to do.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Grinding.


I have starded to grind the suface smooth. I start with 40 grit paper and plan to finish sanding with 800 grit paper. I'm looking for a smooth matte silver surface.

Mould


Removing the foam core from the now cured mould was difficult.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Green.



The green star is done. After an exciting journey from KB Lack where Tobias had sprayed it green, I got it home and could unload it in my yard. The colour was mixed from a sample I made earlier. The paint is a two component polyurethane primer and the finish paint is two component industrial paint.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

New commision.

I have been asked to do another work for the day care center. These are a couple of photoshop collages from the site. This is a place where some of the smallest kids play so the stars are placed low so they can reach them. The title of this work is Småstjärnorna, Small Stars.
One idea is to make the stars stretch around a corner...
...or maybe group them between the two windows?
I will cast the small stars in resin coloured with dye. It's also possible to use a powder of aluminium and bronze to get a metal like surface.
Detail of the fastening. This is actually the 1:10 model for the star in the previous post.


Thursday, September 1, 2011

Epoxi.

Before.
After.
I spent about 13 hours making a mould for the cement star to be cast in. The materials are fiberglass and epoxi resin. Now the mould have to cure for about a week before we can use it.

Home.

The aluminum star is home. I haven't decided on what surface I prefer. Polished or a matte silver shine, similar to the gas tank on my SR in the background. The other one is painted today at KB Lack.
I have to start with grinding down the marks from the sand casting.